Our web site contains lots of valuable and interesting information about adopting rescue dogs, fostering, pet adoption events, Happy Tails, and more.
Adoptable DOGS can be found on www.adoptapet.com/OSCAR-Dogs
Adoptable CATS can be found on www.adoptapet.com/OSCAR-Cats
After you have found the perfect pet, please
go to O.S.C.A.R. Application & Info.
One Step Closer Animal Rescue (O.S.C.A.R.) is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization run by dedicated volunteers.
Shop for ANYTHING you want or need at SMILE.AMAZON and Amazon donates to One Step Closer Animal Rescue Inc.
You can visit O.S.C.A.R.'s AmazonSmile Charity List
to donate items that OSCAR needs most.
O.S.C.A.R. WISH LIST
O.S.C.A.R. on INSTAGRAM!
O.S.C.A.R. Pet Adoptions & Events 2022
"Long-Timer's Pet Adoption Event at our Shelter"
Sat, Nov 12 (12 Noon-2pm)
One Step Closer Animal Rescue
155 Stanhope Sparta Road
Andover, NJ 07821
Fri, Nov 18 "Big Money Bingo" (time coming soon)
Presented by: Junior Women's Club of Sparta
Lake Mohawk Country Club
21 Lake Mohawk Country Club Boardwalk
Sparta, NJ 07871
Sun, Nov 20 "Supply Drive" (12 Noon-1:30pm)
The Centre for Dance Artistry
191 Woodport Road
Sparta, NJ 07871
Sun, Nov 20 "Pet Adoption Event" (12 Noon-2pm)
367 Mt Hope Ave
Rockaway, NJ 07866
View our Calendar for more 2022
VOLUNTEER DOG WALKERS NEEDED!
We are looking for volunteer dog walkers to volunteer at our kennel in our dog walking program Monday-Friday from 4pm-6pm.
The dogs love going for walks and getting out of their kennels, which helps reduce kennel stress. They also like consistency and seeing the same people can help establish trust and a strong bond.
We are looking for a handful of volunteers to commit to at least 1 night every week to walk dogs. You are more than welcome to commit to more then 1 night a week.
For example, you can commit to every Monday and every Tuesday to walk dogs or whatever day(s) work for you, but be consistent and dependable on the day(s) you choose.
Below are the requirements for a dog walker in this program.
*Must be 18 years or older
*Must be able to handle strong dogs
*Must attend volunteer/dog handler orientation (due to covid we will train anyone individually)
*Must commit to at least 1 night every week (Monday-Friday) - that night needs to be consistent and not fluctuate between days of the week. This way we can ensure all dogs get walked every night.
If you are interested or have questions please contact us at OSCARRescue@yahoo.com.
During this unsettling time of the Coronavirus, we had to cancel many of our public Pet Adoption Events. There are always many pets needing their forever homes. Our shelter will still be an open for 'Meet & Greet' Pet Adoptions. PLEASE KNOW... an approved application is required first. A 'Meet & Greet' must be scheduled by the OSCAR Office Staff. All family members attending must be free of symptoms.
Something else to know... Pet adoption fees help to support our Rescue. All of the pets under our care continue to need food, supplies, and veterinary care. Please consider making a donation to help OSCAR continue to provide the best care to our dogs and cats. OSCAR Animal Rescue PO Box 248 Sparta, NJ 07871. Thank you.
Kids Helping O.S.C.A.R.
We realize how important it is for kids to learn how to help animals and that there are animals in need in their community. We have different ways to help, all of which benefit the rescue. Kids learn the value of setting goals and feeling like they are making a difference.
Be sure to visit our page Kids Helping O.S.C.A.R. to read more about O.S.C.A.R. and our local kids!
* * * * * * * *
KIDS - Here is a great way that you can help O.S.C.A.R.! Collect change, then give us a call. We'll arrange for you to come down and have a personal tour of our new shelter. You'll get to see the dogs and cats you are helping.
Kids Helping Animals:
This is Lila Anacker. She raised money and got donations from friends and family.
The staff and the dogs and cats of OSCAR say, "Thank You!!!"
See more photos of our young friends on
Kids Helping O.S.C.A.R.
Animal Kennel Attendant
Full Time Shift(s) Needed: SUNDAYS 8AM-6PM, SATURDAYS 8AM-6PM, MONDAY 8AM-6PM, TUESDAY 8AM-6PM, WEDNESDAY 8AM-6PM, FRIDAY 8AM-6PM
Part Time Shift(s) Needed: SUNDAYS 8AM-1PM, SATURDAYS 8AM-1PM, FRIDAYS 8AM-1PM, TUESDAYS 8AM-1PM, WEDNESDAY 8AM-1PM , THURSDAY 8AM-1PM
**Flexible schedule Part/Full time offered
**Pay rate $16/hour
We are looking for highly motivated and dependable individuals who are able to work in a fast-paced environment and provide excellent care to our dogs.
Kennel Attendant Requirements:
- Must have a love for dogs.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must have reliable vehicle.
- Must have honest and dependable personality traits and strong work ethic
- Must possess work habits for working independently and part as of a team, to multi-task and pay attention to detail.
- Must by physically able to lift 40+ pounds, stand, sit or squat for extended periods of time.
- MUST available for flexible scheduling and working weekends and holidays.
- Prefer experience which demonstrates strong dog handling skills and comfort around dogs of all sizes and temperaments. Although previous animal experience is strongly preferred, we will train the right person.
Kennel Attendant Description:
- Walk dogs according to kennel's policy in all weather conditions.
- Rotate dogs in and out of play yards.
- Pick up dog waste.
- Ensure fresh water is provided at all times.
- Administer medications.
- Observe dogs for any signs of illness and report to kennel supervisor.
- Transport dogs to vet offices or other locations if necessary.
- Ensure all play yards are clean and fresh water is available at all times.
- Rake leaves when necessary.
- Shovel snow when necessary.
- Extensive cleaning of the facility including:
- Clean and sanitize kennels and ensure clean bedding.
- Sweep floors.
- Mop floors.
- Clean counter tops and surfaces.
- Wash dishes.
- Laundry (wash, dry, fold and store)
- Empty garbage
7 days a week: 8 am to 6 pm
In your response email, please list the following:
- List your availability based on the shifts/hours above. List all possible shifts. Doesn't mean you will work them all. The more availability, the better.
- Are you in school or do you have another job. If so, please attach or list schedule.
- Your previous experience with dogs
- Attach Resume
- How far do you live from Hopatcong, NJ?
Are you comfortable driving in inclement weather? We house live animals that NEED us there, regardless of weather conditions.
- Please set yourself apart and tell us why you'd make a good member of our team!
Please send your resume and additional info to: OSCARRescue@yahoo.com.